Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 26: Spider-Pan

2011 Earnings so far:  $1,735.50

Today's Contest: Syfy's: Spiderman B'way Tix and Trip to NYC Sweepstakes
Prize:  Spidey Tix & Roundtrip airfare
Rules: Enter that online info, kiddo
Julie Taymor and U2's Spiderman Turn off the Dark was finally reviewed this week after multiple delays due to a tangled web of technical problems.  It got panned to the likes of...

"Spider-Man is not only the most expensive musical ever to hit Broadway; it may also rank among the worst."
Ben Brantley, New York Times


"Really, truly horrendously and unfixably bad down to its bones."
Richard Lawson, Gawker




"Oof!"
Matthew Fletcher, Just reacting to the above reviews


But the  whole reason that I entered this contest is that I WANT to see this show and how bad it is.  There is certain satisfaction and schadenfreude I feel when I see really bad theater.  And not so-bad-that-it's- good-theater...like when I saw Hannibal The Musical or Sock Puppet Showgirls
But genuinely bad theater....Like Carrie the musical with numbers like "I just wanna set the world on fire".  Or the musical reading I was in as a budding thea-tah stah, about highschool juvies in a geometry class called Searching for Y.  


Scene 4:  Searching for Y
Erik (ie.. the role I played) takes center stage and sings:
 "Gangs hey I don't fear em...but when I see a theorem."


Ummmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment